Computer repairman collected photos of unsuspecting women, police say – latimes.com
I was so outraged when I read about this situation. I can’t for the life of me understand how this happened and went so far without being discovered. I’m sick to my stomach about it. Did they even do a background check? Where did they find this guy? Craigslist?
“While he had physical access to the computers, he would install a spyware-type application that allowed him remote access to the user’s computer and webcam,” Goodrich said.
Another story of a nefarious computer technician: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/360124/laptop-repair-pervert-jailed-for-nine-months
Important! When a tech is working on your computer, it’s quite important that you observe the work and ask questions. It’s also vitally important that you understand the functionality of the webcam that is installed on most laptops.
Choosing who to trust with your repairs can be scary. You rely on your computer working. Some thoughts about choosing a company:
- Get someone local to you. You will want to develop a relationship with your computer service company, not just a one time fix. ÜberGeekGirl and her team of technicians provide computer repair in Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. Our offices are in Santa Monica so we’re never very far away!
- Check references and reviews. Don’t panic. Don’t choose the first repair company you come across. Call your colleagues and friends who are in similar circumstances as you, likely they have a vendor they trust.
- Can you communicate? When you initially call a company, ask questions and make sure you can communicate well with the person. ÜberGeekGirl and her technicians explain issues in layman’s terms. We are easy to talk to, helpful, and eager to answer your questions fully and completely.
- Experience, experience, experience. When it comes to computers, schooling is no match for real-world experience. The technicians at ÜberGeekGirl have experience, as well as expertise in the specific area or areas you need help with.
- Availability of onsite service: ÜberGeekGirl offers remote and online computer repair services. We also offer onsite service in case the need arises.