My 4 month old and I have been rather ill and it became so worrisome that we went to urgent care. Turns out it’s a little bronchitis and nothing that a little Z-pack couldn’t solve. We were the last patients of the night and we made our way to the 24 hour pharmacy. I turned in my prescriptions and wandered the vitamin aisles. Then a page came over the loudspeaker… “Mrs. DeVita, please come to the pharmacy counter”. I was very much ready to get my pills and go. But no, we were not so lucky.
Finally the doctor called back. The dose was incorrect and he told her the correct amount. The doctor didn’t even apologize.
Errors happen. Human errors happen. Some errors have graver consequences than others. Had the pharmacist at Rite Aid not been uber-careful, she would have given my 4 month old infant the dose for a 5 year old child. Computers can and do save lives. The pharmacist explained that she hadn’t seen my baby and was perfectly ready to give the prescriptions but the screen flashed “OVERDOSE, OVERDOSE”. I’m so grateful for her careful attention and that RiteAid’s pharmacy system did it’s job. She apologized to me for being such a nitpicker, but I stopped her.
Please don’t ever apologize for doing a good job and striving for perfection.Read More